Mar 25, 2006

Ice Skating @ the WECC!

With so many social activities with my Vancouver Social Club, Couch Surfers, MEETin, and meetup, I'm truly becoming a socialite!

Just one night after our billiards gathering at the SoHo Cafe, I went skating on ice with the VSC @ the West End Community Centre (WECC). And, like my skill in billiards, I wasn't very good, for I hadn't skated in a long time either. Fortunately, there were others who hadn't either so again, I was in good company! I must have been around seven years old when I last skated on ice in an ice rink. That was when I was taking skating lessons, just one of a plate full of other activities I was involved in when my mother thought it was best to keep me busy. Not to brag or anything here, but I do remember being the only one in my little class of little ones who was able to skate backwards! Yes, I was special then... ;)

Skating close to the rink walls, I made my first attempt to walk on ice. A few rounds later, I was flying! I was amazed at just how quickly it all came back to me. The sensation of feeling wind in your hair as you pass people by was what a dog must feel like when it sticks its head out the window of a moving vehicle, ears flapping in the wind. I could do without the drool though. =)

The pain in my arch got to me eventually to the point of having to get off the ice and take a break. For a while, I had thought that this was due to me not getting used to wearing hard shoes with blades on them, but after I upped my skate size by another .5, it made all the difference. Playing tag was a little less painful!

It's great to get back to doing activities that I've long neglected to do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment