May 26, 2006

Eat! Vancouver Food Festival.

I went to attend a seminar at the "Eat! Vancouver Food Festival" on how to pair the right cheese with the right wine and put on a successful wine and cheese party. The informative, engaging, and entertaining seminar was hosted by a representative of the Dairy Farmers of Canada. Taking a small chunk of cheese and melding it into my palms, I learned the first of many ways of identifying the characteristics of cheese. Cheese is best under room temperature, and by melding it in my palms, I was letting the aroma out and feeling the texture at the same time. Like swirling wine in a wine glass and looking at it's colour and swishing it around my mouth for its fruitful flavours, I could come to be a cheese connoisseur too! And there's nothing cheesy about it!

In the beer garden, I was surprised to meet Alex and his representatives exhibiting his Austrian wines at his 19A Wine Company booth. I introduced Norman, Tanya, Jamie, and James to him and invited them to taste the reds and whites from the "Weingut Frank" label.

Other highlights of the festival was seeing Rob Feenie giving a cooking demonstration in front of an audience. But because we were in the back row, we didn't stick around to see what he was cooking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment