Nov 24, 2006

Gettin' Durty with The Mavericks!


To end a perfectly good Friday night, Ma Yuran, a CouchSurfer in Beijing, invited me out to see a local band called ‘The Mavericks’ performing at an Irish pub. We went as a large group of about 8 and took a cab to the Chaoyang district, a happening place unlike the boonies of Wudaokou. Amongst the group of MBA students was a guy who identified himself as ‘Squid’. I’m sure he has a Chinese name, but ‘Squid’ is a lot easier to remember, hahha! Anyway, it turns out that he works in some sort of internet music company so he’s well connected and informed about the whole music scene here in Beijing.

Chillaxing with my new friends and a pint of Kilkenny, we watched and listened to the four-member group of two-Aussies, a Frenchie, and a Chinese guy of ‘The Mavericks’ do their takes on popular classic rock music, Irish music, and some of their own music as well.

Throughout the night, a young Chinese girl sitting at our table asked me to dance with her on the non-existant dance floor of ‘Durty Nellie’s.’ I politely turned her down, but she was persistent and wouldn’t take no for an answer. She was practically begging me to dance with her after dispensing with asking me politely until she got miffed with my insistence of wanting to just sit back and relax. Her own problem.

As we were leaving ‘Durty Nellie’s’ just after midnight, we had witnessed a confrontation between what I thought was the manager for ‘The Mavericks’ and the bar owner.

White fluffy things fell from the midnight sky. Winter had arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment