Nov 18, 2006

The Summer Palace.

Kim and I set out for the Summer Palace this morning via the bus, which was cheap and convenient, as there was a bus that took us directly to the palace for only 2 kuai each! When we arrived, there were a few groups of organised tours huddled around the ticketing booth trying to sort things out and count heads. I couldn’t contain my snicker at the sight of these hopelessly lost souls who need a tour guide to show them around, following their leaders with a dinky flag on an antennae like lemmings.

We both got into the palace at a reduced student pricing, thanks to the ticket agent who didn’t bother verifying our identities. I was immediately intrigued by an old man with a long sponge brush writing calligraphy on the cement grounds using nothing but water (or so it seemed). Though I couldn’t read what he was writing, I took notice of his careful brush strokes, showing both thin and thick lines as he went along in a race against time. It would all disappear in a moment’s time.

According to history, the Summer Palace served as an imperial retreat for the Qing Dynasty from the chaotic responsibilities at the Forbidden City. From what I heard from Kim, the Empress Dowager Cixi had spent a large amount of money meant for the modernisation of the imperial navy on renovating and adding extravagant buildings to the palace instead. All this, for her mother’s 60th birthday, if I remember correctly. I wish someone would build a palace for me when I turn 60... Surely a palace isn’t too much to ask for considering that my sheer existence in this world, let alone my priceless contributions to mankind. =)

Strolling through the many temples, halls, and corridors of the Summer Palace, we admired the Marble Boat, climbed up the Longevity Hill, and looked out to the distance of a more modern Beijing across the Black Lake to see the all too ubiquitous ‘Golden Arches’ amidst the haze of pollution.

Not wanting a standard picture of me standing in front of a monumental structure like so many typical and distasteful tourists opt for, I asked Kim to take a series of three photographs of me ‘falling down the stairs’ to the Temple of the Sea of Wisdom, making a complete fool out of myself in public in the process. If I had the time, I would make an animated gif out of it!

Then there’s the pic of me sneaking through the crack of the fence, thus not violating the “PLEASE DON’T CLIMB OVER THE FENCE” sign order. Such a smart-ass...

Coming down the Longevity Hill, we took a stroll around the entire shoreline of Kunming Lake which took a few hours at least to complete the circuit full circle. This serene journey, equivalent to walking the Stanley Park Seawall, took us through some of the most beautiful bridges with high arches I haven’t seen anywhere else yet. A series of bridges and boardwalks lead to other gorgeous pavilions which offered a breath-taking view of the main grounds of the Summer Palace, now in the distance, and Fragrant Hill, even further out into distance marked by its tall ancient pagoda atop.

I was further out of breath, not so much by all the walking I’ve done thus far, but by the sight of the Seventeen-arch Bridge linking South Lake Island to the mainland.
On each of its balusters along the span of the bridge crowned a hand-carved lion, each one different from one another. Sadly, all of the lions, though still distinctive, is loosing its detailed and intricate features due to weathering over the centuries.

The Summer Palace is definitely worth another visit.





1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Ed, it seems a beautiful place to see
    Will...

    ReplyDelete