Aug 5, 2006

Celebration of Lights Grande Finale.

Trying to get into town by transit was an event itself Missing the 1900 bus by a few minutes, we waited around for the next one at 2000, but that one drove right through without stopping as it was already packed with passengers wanting to see the Mexico and the Grande Finale of the Celebration of Light. Frustrated and annoyed, Janelle, Kyle, Aaron, and I had no choice but to wait for the 2100 bus.

The fireworks had started without us by the time we were at the foot of the Granville Street bridge, 2200 on the dot. Aaron and Janelle wanted to see the fireworks alone together, so they got off here, a stop before Kyle and I got off on Davie and Granville. Not wanting to miss any more of Mexico's night anymore than necessary, we sprinted from the east end to the west end in 10 minutes flat, only breaking a few times between. I haven't sprinted so fast for so long since last year when I used to run, so I was very out of shape. My stamina wasn't at the levels I thought it was, but I pushed myself but kept pace with Kyle, who had the slight advantage of having longer legs than I (and being more physically fit). By the time we got to the Sylvia Hotel on Denman and Beach Ave., I was seriously dying from thirst and energy. Spitting phlegm, the natural lubricant for my throat, I didn't have anymore to cough up, so my throat tightened up like having an allergic reaction to eating peanuts. I couldn't even speak, so I motioned Kyle to ask for a glass of ice water with hand gestures. Sitting on the steps of the Sylvia Hotel, I drank copious amounts of water to soothe my throat.

I had definitely pushed myself to my limits here, just to see the last 10 minutes of Mexico's night, obscured mostly by the tall bushy trees and standing behind a swarm of people surrounding every square inch of prime views. Was it worth it? Well, if it wasn't for the Grande Finale and the chance to get together with the VSC, no. It wasn't worth dying for.

Kyle had his rare opportunity to try some sushi at Tanpopo's after the fireworks. I commend him for having the courage to try something new without being squeamish about eating raw fish. Before having to sprint back to catch the 351 on Howe and Davie, I got everyone to give Kyle a round of applause for popping his sushi cherry! Yey Kyle!

And then we were back for another run, this time, right after eating... At this rate, I think I've already started training to run a marathon. I should keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment