Jul 31, 2006

Can You Dig It?

I had a hard time finding the Stone Grill Restaurant on Granville, but after walking about town, I found it just under the Granville Street bridge, overlooking False Creek and Granville Island.

Upon ordering my steak dinner, I realised the significance of the name of the restaurant. Slabs of raw meat was brought before me, sizzling on a brick of hot hot stone. This was certainly a unique dining experience with a memorable presentation. While I thought my steak dinner was delicious (mainly because I had to cook the raw meat myself on the stone grill), I didn't like the fact that I had to grill it myself. I came in with an empty stomach and almost had no patience to stare at my not-yet-ready steak in front of me. Oh, I'm sure I was watering from my mouth! Meh, I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining about something trivial, just to show some sort of unbiased and balanced report like food critics usually do. It was good! At $35, however, I was also paying for the great expansive view.

What brought me to the Stonegrill, of course, was an invitation from Jeffrey Chow (CS Profile: CANYOUDIGIT13) to come out to his 20th birthday anniversary party with his large number of friends. There must have been around 20 - 25 people there when I arrived. More friends of his dropped in and out right up to closing time at midnight. It was nice to meet Jeff's girlfriend Emily as well. Like the last time we met back at Hon's restaurant on St. Patty's Day, we were playing "MovieLines" trivia, quoting a line from a movie and identifying the name of the movie associated with it.

Before moving around to other parts of the table meeting and greeting new people like the social butterfly that I am, I was having a lively discussion with Jim Qiu, a Shanghainese, about the cultural differences between China and Canada. Our discussion branched to discussing about the whole anime thing that's all the rage in Japan and globally, and included others around our table to put in their two-cents.

It was a great social evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment