Feb 19, 2009

Seattle (again).

Sameer and Imelda drove to my place to pick me up in the late afternoon. From then on, we headed south towards the border crossing for Seattle. My friend Andrea invited me out to a cold reading of her play at the Alibi Room on Pike Street and we were doing our best to get there on time, cruising down the I-5 and listening to my collection of the best of the Pet Shop Boys.

Andrea was her charming self when we met her inside the dimly list restaurant/bar which was the Alibi Room. We were catching up on some new revealing details about what's been going on in our lives since our last meet and were having a jovial conversation over some delicious pizza until Jona and his troupe of friends made an appearance. His avoidance in making eye contact and acknowledging my presence confirmed what I had suspected since our trip to Seattle several months back. I haven't a clue why he chose to take on this childish behaviour, but at this point, I don't care to know.

Andrea's cold reading of her script went quite well. Several actors on the floor assumed different characters as they read her script with vigor and vitality. As I was listening along to the story, I started to realise that this was more or less an autobiographical tale of her experience moving to a new city. She had painted a pretty picture of Seattle, characterising even the homeless people as a friendly social bunch. Strangely enough, that certainly wasn't my experience immediately after surfacing from the cellar and out the doors of the Alibi Room.

As we were admiring the "gum wall" directly across from the exit doors, a hygienically unkempt African American woman approached several people including myself with open hands asking for money and talking loudly about her dire situation. She also nearly gave me a hug but I stepped back in time.

At the motel, we had Sideways playing on my PowerBook, but as we were watching it from the comfort of our beds, comfort and fatigue got the better part of us and we fell asleep before reaching the end of the movie.







No comments:

Post a Comment