Aug 20, 2007

Home Sweet Home.

Vancouver will always be home for me. There was a change in the air (literally!) when my Boing 767 flew around New Westminster towards Richmond in preparation for landing. I have an awesome 6 minute long video of this, clear as day. I was tearing up behind the camera screaming "HOME! HOME! HOME!" in my head. While waiting at the customs line at the new arrivals terminal, I heard the familiar English and French spoken by people among me, not the disconcerting "ching chongs" I was getting all too used to back in Beijing. Other little big things like bilingual signage, manners, efficiency, people queuing up in an orderly fashion, fresh air, and high sanitation standards, ethnic diversity, high fashion, and Bill Reid’s extensive Haida wood carvings were all subtle indications that I’ve returned to the greatest city in the world. Watching promotional videos of Vancouver 2010 on the jumbotron made me realise how patriotic I am to this land of free, and how much better we are than everyone else (no arrogance here)!

Further proof that I've returned to the land of the free: Free Speech. I had stumbled upon a large group of protesters blocking an intersection in the downtown core protesting against the SPP.

Home Sweet Home.





















Landing at YVR


No comments:

Post a Comment