Aug 31, 2007

Timon of Athens.

Kayla and I got together to watch a movie called “Rocket Science” which was playing at Festival Cinemas. It was one of my unusual and quirky coming-of-age films that I love so much, and we came out of the theatre satisfied. We strolled around Granville Island to pass time until Sigrid called me up to call us down to the Bard.

Like the Grouse Grind, Bard on the Beach was something I wanted to participate in for years on end but for one reason or another, I never got around to Vanier Park to watch a Shakespearian performance until I met up with Sigrid this evening. Siggy was working as a volunteer at Bard this year and informed me about this season’s lineup at my “Exalted Edwin’s Return Party” a few days ago.

The performance we had the honour of watching this evening was one of Shakespeare’s little known play called “Timon of Athens”. Rarely performed as a result, this timeless story had the premise of a wealthy man who offered monetary support to those in dire need, but when he himself fell victim to trouble and called upon his friends for help, his cries fell on deaf ears, and the hard realisation that they were not really friends to begin with sparked contempt, anger, and revenge.

Overhearing a conversation between a mother and her two young children who sat in the row in front of us, I was surprised to hear that they came all the out from Edmonton to see Timon of Athens. Now that’s devotion and dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment