Apr 14, 2009

VAG: How Soon Is Now.

I interested a few friends into joining me at the VAG for their current exhibit on contemporary art titled “How Soon Is Now”; a title that drew its inspiration from the song by the same name by The Smiths. A new friend sharing the same name as I also came out to join us after seeing my post on the Vancouver CS forum.

This exhibit featured many artists from BC and included various mediums to deliver richness and dynamism. And as with my experiences in the past, one visit for a few hours isn’t enough to see everything there is to see. One of the most memorable ones were that of a video being projected on screen of driving through a torrential downpour on a freeway somewhere from the perspective of the first person inside the vehicle. With wipers swishing back and forth in a futile attempt to wipe water off the windscreen, I found myself mesmerised. The other memorable piece I liked was the wall of dozens and dozens of reflective semi-spherical cups about the size of my hand mounted in series. When looking out from the second floor balcony, I realised that it was arranged in braille. Not knowing how to read braille however still left me a bit perplexed as to what the message may have been as expressed by the artist.

I will have to return for take two.



No comments:

Post a Comment