Jul 25, 2008

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

In the heat of Beijing's massive exodus, I too found myself in the rush. Tonight was my turn to have a Bon Voyage dinner party to which I had shared with another guy also leaving the Jing.

I was out and about with Gab and Rita, first getting a nice shampoo massage together. While waiting for Rita to finish up, I decided to get a haircut at the same place. While I was getting my haircut, I also requested a shave, not knowing how long it would actually take. This was the first time I had someone else shave for me with a shaving knife. My barber was very meticulous and took his time. Twenty minutes later, the result was wonderful: the closest shave I'd ever had! Caressing my chin and jaw line, I was astounded by how smooth it was. All this for under 30 RMB. Unbelievable.

After looking prim and proper, we took a cab to Ghost Street for some Chinese. Corina was already leading a pack of about fifteen people and once we were settled inside the restaurant inside a private room, another half a dozen or so people arrived. I didn't expect such a huge turnout, but then again with my popularity... (Ego? Check.)

Gab and Rita, as they have done so often in the past, managed to quietly escape without causing so much as a stir. I had quickly noticed their absence however and called them on it. They were at TGIF enjoying ice cream together in peace and harmony unlike the noisy atmosphere I was in back at the restaurant. Xiao Lu, Filip, Cady, and I didn't want to stay for much longer either so we had secretly made plans to make a quiet exit as well. And we did 20 minutes later. :)

While Filip and Cady had to go back home, Xiao Lu and I joined Rita and Gab at TGIF for some ice cream and quiet conversation. This was followed by a nice walk from TGIF to the Russian District and to the Workers Stadium in the quiet of the night.

Three days left before my time in Beijing expires.



No comments:

Post a Comment