Jun 7, 2009

Specialized Special @ Simon's.

After my initial introduction to Specialized bikes at the EP!C Sustainable Living Expo, I went busy with researching various makes of bikes including TREK, Kona, Norco, and Louis Garneau, and made a decision as to whether I should go with a road bike, a mountain bike, or a hybrid based on my future aspirations. The specials on last year’s models at Simon’s Bike Shop sealed the deal for me and I chose the last remaining Specialized Rockhopper in bright yellow. I took it out for a spin around the empty parking lot out back, climbed over parking cement blocks, bounced around testing the feel for its RockShox suspension, and fell in love. I mean, LLLOOOOVEEE.

Excited by my purchase of my new two-wheeler, Jay and I got on our bikes today and made a trek from downtown Vancouver to Steveston, Richmond. Cycling along Granville begun with a steady uphill climb and my legs were getting tired. I pushed myself, however, and at 37th Avenue, it peaked, and it was all downhill from there. The next half of the journey down along Granville was made easier after I made a pit-stop at a petrol station and realised that my tyres were under-inflated.

We went over the Arthur-Laing Bridge, entered Richmond, and continued our way to Norm and Lucy’s place. They took us along the Richmond Dyke which turned out to be a really nice path for bikes and walkers and took a rest once we got to Garry Point in Steveston. All four of us ordered fish and chips from Pajo’s and then ordered ice cream from the shop right next door. Savoured the explosive deliciousness in my mouth and every moment of being outside under the sun.

Back on our bikes again, we continued our path along the dyke north, turned a right, and followed River Road. YVR didn’t seem all too busy from across the water. In fact, Richmond had a certain calmness to it today, maybe because we avoided travelling on major arteries. Separating from Norm and Lucy in Richmond, Jay and I cycled back into town, taking the same path along Granville. A nice woman waiting at a crosswalk had a box of cookies with her and offered one each for the both of us. Vancouver is bike friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment