Apr 2, 2007

John Ralston Saul.

And here's to another great Bookworm event! This time, the guest of honour was a well known and well respected Canadian author, essayist, philosopher, and husband to our former Governor General of Canada, Adrienne Clarkson, John Ralston Saul.

Fresh from appearances at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Literary Festivals, Saul came to the Bookworm to discuss his ideas about globalism and promote his new book called The Collapse of Globalism.

I had rushed over to Chaoyang from Wudaokou as soon as I was finished with work but when I got there, I was faced with an overcrowded room and had to poke my head through the rear curtains to listen to him speak. As sad and tragic as it was not being able to grab a seat in the front row (or any seat in the room for that matter), I found solace in muttering something about those early-bird bastards under my breath like a grumbling and irritable old man.

Adding salt to a fresh wound, Ralston's new book, The Collapse of Globalism, to which his book tour was focused on was SOLD OUT. SOLD OUT!! Damn these literary people who flock to these events and ruin it for late-comers such as I! Early bird bastards... should have done something with those early worms too...

Ah well, all was not lost. I did get one of his other books titled The Doubter's Companion, and a photo to show that I was there for the speaker event!

And I'm not fond of living in Wudaokou anymore.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete