Jun 24, 2006

The Newlyweds.

Zee (Lindsey) made scrambled eggs for breakfast which was really quite impressive. His roommate Sheri and her friend Lee joined us for breakfast where I got to introduce myself and participate in small talk. Promptly after having a shower, Zee took me out to the farmer's market a few blocks away where there were merchants vending everything from organic produce, bath soaps, to arts and crafts. I was hoping to find a magnetic bracelet there but not finding one, I bought a lavender lemonade freezee instead. I've got to have another one.

Coincidentally, Victoria was having its pride festival which begun with "Queers on Bikes" today, so Zee, Sheri, and Lee all took part in it. I would have loved to go with them, but the wedding took precedence. It was the "Big Day" for Jamie and James, so I went to see them at their suite at Traveller's Inn. Jay was already there with Amber, the brides' maid, observing them doing their hair, doing their makeup, and putting on the gown and tux. James asked me if I could be the casual photographer, and I gladly took responsibility.

I drove the groom to the Royal Conservatory Hall in my shiny new black Ford F-150 and settled myself inside the hall. The place was magnificently beautiful, highlighted by its massive brass organ tubes along the wall and by the way the sun shone through the stained-glass windows. The place was also very acoustically sound that a sound of a pin drop would probably reverberate ten-fold. I had to take this into consideration when I went up to the balcony with the SLR camera to take a birds-eye view of the wedding procession.

Friends and families, including Norman and Tanya, filled the benches and the time for the main event was drawing near. Minutes passed, however, and still no sign of the bride, the bridesmaid, or Jay, the chauffeur. With every minute of absence, a sense of panic and concern became more apparent on the everyone's faces. James' parents were agitated when the minister revealed that there was another wedding ceremony booked soon after. Even James and Luke, the best man, came out to the front steps wondering where they could be. Everyone was suspended in drama, and me and my mobile phone was the only line of hope. Dialling Jay's mobile number, I got his voicemail. I left a long message, a distress call if you will. Had they lost their way?

But just then, my mobile started vibrating in my hands and the face of Jay appeared on screen. "They're on their way!" I said to the people standing in my vicinity which was followed by a collective sigh of relief.

The beige Ford Escape was now in sight and Jay was the first to hop out to open the door for the bride in the back. Everyone else ran back to the hall to take their places. From out of the chariot, the magnificently beautiful Jamie in her stunningly gorgeous dress and hair emerged, followed by Amber, the bridesmaid.

I went buzzing around snapping pictures.

We moved on to Beacon Hill Park for more photographs of the newly weds. According to Luke, this park, in particular, where there's a sundial surrounded by blooming flowers, is the most photographed place for weddings. It was scorching out, which was made more unbearable by the fact that we were still all in our formal wear.

The reception dinner was held at a beach-front restaurant to which I can't remember the name of. It was called McGavins I think, but I can't be sure. Instead of clinking our wine glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss, a new rule was brought forth in which we had to tell a good story involving the bride and/or groom for all to hear AND it had to be a clean one. A hilarious story about James and Luke chasing sheep up a hill was told and got the audience chuckling. Tanya, sitting at our table, had a more risqué story to tell and we were egging her on to tell it. After downing another alcoholic drink, she went up to the podium and recounted the time she had invited Jamie and James to her group orgy party on April fools, catching them off guard. This got the crowd laughing, though there must have been some people none too pleased among us. The punch line was when Tanya reiterated what Jamie had said to her group orgy eVite: "I don't know what to wear!" What a gas.

I got back to my host late at night after circling around the neighbourhood lost without a map. Zee had to work a double shift tomorrow and couldn't see me off so it was goodnight and adieu time. The towering giant had to bend down to give me a hug, which I thought was funny. Makes me look like a dwarf! He was a great host and I wish I could have spent more time with him to get to know him better. Perhaps we'll meet again at the Tofino camping trip in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment